A lot happens every minute online. People are checking emails, sending text messages, buying something for their home, watching TikTok videos, and much, much more.
And, in the last year, the time we’ve spent online has only increased. In fact, online content consumption has increased by 30% in the last year.
We wanted to understand what happens every minute on the internet to get a sense of where your business needs to be in order to get in front of today’s busy (and distracted) consumers. Let me just tell you: it was overwhelming.
So, we put together this handy infographic to give you an idea of exactly what happens in an internet minute.
Internet minute stats table of contents
Take a deeper dive into all our 2023 internet minutes stats plus some other online marketing statistics small business owners need to know.
Social media statistics you need to know
We know that people love social media. They’re scrolling through their feeds, Snapchatting their friends, and uploading their own Insta images, which means social media is a powerful marketing channel you can’t ignore.
Here are some important social media statistics that show just how much social media usage happens in an internet minute.
Related: Don’t wait another minute! Increase your social presence fast with our complete guide to social media marketing.
Instagram is one of the most popular social networks in the world with almost 1.5 billion users globally. Take a look at these other eye-popping Instagram statistics:
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram each day. That translates to 65,972 each minute!
- The average US user spends 53 minutes on Instagram per day. That’s 297 hours per year.
- Many Instagrammers are actively seeking out fresh content, as Instagram’s explore page is viewed by 200 million accounts daily. That’s 138,888 exploring new accounts each minute. (Be sure your business is showing across placements like this one by following Instagram’s ranking algorithm.)
- 81% of people use Instagram to research products and services.
- 50% of people have visited a website to make a purchase after seeing it on Instagram.
- Nearly 140,000 users are visiting a business’s page on Instagram each minute.
- Businesses doing local marketing on Instagram are sure to see success, as Instagram posts with a location get 79% more engagement.
- Facebook users are still incredibly active with 510,000 comments posted, 293,000 statuses updated, and 240,000 photos uploaded every minute.
- 9 million Facebook messages are sent every minute.
- Users spend an average of 38 minutes every day on Facebook. That’s up by 4 minutes compared to last year.
- Facebook users click on an average of 12 ads every month.
Whether you’re a B2B business trying to generate leads, or a small business owner looking to grow your employer branding, LinkedIn is a great channel for building your network. Check out these LinkedIn statistics:
- LinkedIn has nearly 900 million monthly active users.
- LinkedIn is the most trusted social network in the US.
- 40 million people turn to LinkedIn to look for jobs every month. (Recruitment marketers – this one’s for you!)
- Employees are 14x more likely to share content from their employers on LinkedIn than any other type of content.
- LinkedIn ads can boost purchase intent by over 30%.
- 80% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn Ads.
- Businesses that post on LinkedIn each week get a 2x higher engagement rate than those that don’t.
- Twitter saw 4 billion sessions in 2021, ranking it as this year’s ninth most visited website.
- One-quarter of US adults use Twitter in 2022.
- In terms of marketing ROI for Twitter, 40% of users have purchased a product after seeing it on the platform.
- The majority – over 80% — of B2B businesses use Twitter for organic social media marketing.
- 54% of Twitter’s audience are likely to make purchases based on what they see on the platform.
- Businesses using Twitter’s new feature, spaces, have seen a 3% increase in sales volume
- Over 66 million searches are made on Pinterest every day.
- A lot of those searches are product or shopping-related: 95% of Pinners have used Pinterest to plan for or make a purchase.
- 52% of Pinterest users have seen something on Pinterest and made a purchase online.
- Two million people pin product-rich pins every day.
Snapchat continues to be a crucial place to reach and engage with millennials and Gen Z, especially with Snapchat advertising. In fact, Snapchat can reach 90% of 13 to 24-year-olds. Consider these Snapchat statistics:
- There are 265 million active daily users on Snapchat, and 3 billion Snaps are created daily worldwide.
- The average Snapchatters spends 30 minutes per day on the app.
- Snapchat users open the app more than 30 times per day.
- Snapchat is the second-most visited social platform in the US.
- Snapchat users are more likely to make purchases from their mobile devices than non-Snapchat users.
- Snapchatters are 60% more likely to make impulse purchases.
- The average swipe-up rate for Snapchat ads is 50%, and the average cost per swipe is just $.30-$1.00.
- 35% of Snapchat users will send snaps to their friends about products they want to buy.
TikTok is the fastest growing social media platform, with 40% of businesses planning to incorporate TikTok into their 2022 social media strategy. Here’s why:
- TikTok reached 1 billion active users in just five years (it took Facebook eight!), with 100 million of those users being US-based.
- In 2022, TikTok’s user base is projected to grow by 15%.
- 167 million videos are viewed on TikTok every internet minute.
- TikTok has the highest engagement rate per post across social media sites.
- 37% of US TikTok users have a household income of over $100k.
- 59% of TikTok users are Millennials, Gen X, or Baby Boomers.
Related: Follow these simple steps for how to create a TikTok account.
Online and mobile search statistics
A lot happens in the world of search in an internet minute. Here are a few online and mobile search statistics that illustrate what’s happening every minute online.
- 9 million searches happen on Google every minute!
- Up to 70% of web traffic happens on a mobile device.
- 46% of all searches that happen on Google have local intent.
- Between 2015 and 2017, “near me” mobile searches grew 500%.
- 84% of people use Google at least three times a day.
- 78% of all local searches on a mobile device led to a purchase within 24 hours.
- 81% of people searched online for a product or service specifically to make a purchase.
- There was a 100% increase in searches for “available near me” from 2019 to 2020.
Streaming video statistics
It’s no secret that video marketing is a need-to-have strategy for businesses this year. Here are some video statistics that show just how much streaming we do in an internet minute.
- More than 221 million subscribers watch an average of 452,000 hours of content on Netflix every minute.
- There are nearly 7 million Hulu viewers and 43.8 paid Hulu subscribers.
- There are over 157 million Prime Video users.
- Streaming services account for nearly 20% of TV viewing in the US.
While YouTube marketing could technically fall under video, it deserves its own category because people are spending a ton of time consuming content on this site. Here are some YouTube statistics that show just how much happens here in an internet minute:
- 2 billion people are logged in to YouTube each month.
- 74% of US adults use YouTube.
- YouTube is the world’s second-most visited website (behind its parent company, Google).
- People watch nearly 5 billion YouTube videos every day.
- More than 70% of the time spent watching videos on YouTube is on mobile.
- 70% of people made a purchase from a business after seeing them on YouTube.
- 90% of people say they find new brands or businesses through YouTube.
Online and mobile communication statistics
And what about the other things people are doing on their phones? Like texting, emailing, and more? Here are some illuminating stats that illustrate the online and mobile communications happening in an internet minute.
- Mobile marketing is a prevalent way for businesses to appeal to their audience, as 3 billion texts are sent per day.
- 6 billion emails are sent and received each day – it’s estimated that 128.8 billion of those are business emails.
- More than 65 million WhatsApp messages are sent through the app daily.
- 550 million GroupMe messages are sent each month.
Mobile app statistics
251 million apps are downloaded per day—and app usage is only growing as people have spent more time at home on their smartphones over the last couple of years. Let’s check out some more statistics on what happens in an internet minute:
- It’s projected that there will be 2 billion app downloads in 2023.
- The projected revenue for those app downloads is $188.9 billion.
- 37% of Apple app downloads are for gaming apps.
- 20% of millennials open an app at least 50 times a day.
Online shopping statistics
I don’t know about you, but a lot of my time online in 2020 was spent online shopping for things as mundane as groceries to items as exciting(ish) as home workout equipment. Here’s how the world spends an internet minute online shopping.
- $4,722 is spent every SECOND on Amazon.
- More than 6 million people are shopping online every minute.
- More than 75% of people use a mobile device along with in-store shopping.
- About 45% of all U.S. shoppers take advantage of QR code marketing.
Is your business showing up in an internet minute?
As these online statistics illustrate, people are spending exorbitant amounts of time engaging with their networks and businesses, searching for products and services, and consuming content online. Getting your business in front of consumers in these places is more important now than ever and can be the difference between a successful marketing plan that contributes to growth and one that simply keeps your business in survival mode.